What we do at Blykalla
Blykalla is a Swedish deep-tech company at the forefront of the nuclear industry, pioneering the development of small modular reactors that provide clean, safe, and reliable energy. Thanks to lead-cooling, we achieve high safety in a very compact format, allowing for a simple and cost-effective design that can be mass-produced. Our unique reactor design will provide safe and clean baseload energy that is a perfect complement to solar and wind power.
Are you a highly motivated and skilled Mechanical Engineer with a passion for clean energy and cutting-edge technology? Do you dream of being part of an innovative start-up that aims to revolutionize the nuclear energy industry? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you!
What you’ll get to do
As a Thermal Engineer in our team, you will be designing highly innovative components and systems that efficiently convert nuclear energy into steam and electricity. You will bring our reactor island design to maturity by developing a highly innovative high temperature steam generator. You will also optimise the turbine island design by developing components and systems for efficient cooling, condensing and superheating. The components you develop will be manufactured, tested for reliability and applied in our cutting-edge small modular reactors. To achieve this, you will collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers. Together, you will ensure the safe and efficient operation of our advanced nuclear power plants.
- Conduct feasibility studies and assess the viability of different steam generator concepts.
- Be the competence lead for designing, analysing, and optimising components and systems that primarily have a heat exchange function - steam generators, superheaters and condensers - for our small modular reactor.
- Improve the design process by creating insight into operation, failures and maintenance of such components and systems.
- Conduct various simulations and calculations to ensure that our steam generators and other heat exchange equipment meet performance, safety and reliability requirements.
- Troubleshoot and resolve mechanical issues related to heat exchange components, with particular emphasis on the steam generators.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate systems with a thermal function into the overall reactor design
- Define routines for testing and validation of the above components and systems.
- Stay updated with the latest advancements and apply best practices to our designs.
- Assist in preparing technical documentation, reports, and presentations.
Who you are
You will be part of a highly skilled team with a can-do attitude. We put an emphasis on creating high-performing teams through our core values, and strive for creating a workplace to which you enjoy coming. There are, however, a few things that we think will help you succeed in this role:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field. Master's degree is preferred.
- Proven experience (minimum 5 years) from having specialised in thermal engineering, in particular having experience from engineering components with a heat exchange function.
- Familiarity with nuclear power systems and related safety principles as well as prior experience from thermal power plants, chemical or petrochemical industries is beneficial in this role.
- Familiarity with codes, standards, and regulations that apply to the components.
- Proficiency in engineering software and simulation tools necessary for developing the components.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Analytical mindset, attention to detail, and a passion for innovative problem-solving.
- Fluent in English, spoken and written
- Fluency in Swedish is a plus
This position is for our office in Stockholm.
So, what do you think?
Don't miss the chance to be at the forefront of revolutionizing nuclear power. Join our team as Thermal Engineer, and help shape the energy landscape of tomorrow. Apply today with your resume and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and achievements.
We are proud to foster an inclusive workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to be a part of changing the way the world thinks about power supply!
Note: We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and are an equal opportunity employer.